Saturday, April 26, 2008

Yesterday...

Just yesterday I was a child
Gazing in wonder at the twinkling stars

I wonder now when it was last
I looked at the inky black skies

Just yesterday I was chasing butterflies
Leaping after them in playful glee

I wonder now when I last laughed like that
And ran about, without a care

Just yesterday, my biggest thrill was an ice-stick
Licking it up before it melts

I wonder when, I’ll eat two at once
And have a moustache of milk

Just yesterday, I screamed at him
My voice used full, at its loudest

I wonder when I last shouted
I’ve been mum all the while

Just yesterday, I gave a hug
Without a care, while all are looking

I wonder why, I cannot show love
Innocence lost, hangs head in shame

Just yesterday, I feared boo-boos
Dark rooms and creepy lizards

I wonder where all fears vanished
And with it, the child in me!



A Poem by MVJ Simon / Poet Bittersweet

No comments: